Department of Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry was established in 2006 to cater to the demand of people of Punjab particularly Malwa area. Since the time of its establishment, this department has made glorious achievements to its credit. . Some main features of this department are as under:
|1.||Mr. Nirmal Singh||M.Sc., M.Phil||Assistant Professor (H.O.D)||29 years|
|2.||Ms. Maninder Kaur||M.Sc., B.Ed.||Assistant Professor||5 years 8 months|
|3.||Ms Hardeep kaur||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor||4 years 8 months|
Facilities in Biochemistry Department
There is one spacious fully equipped lab with latest instruments and apparatus.
In order to meet the urgent requirement of books, department has its own library. There are 50 books in our library. Text Books are issued to the needy students for whole session.
Biochemistry department has large number of equipments to cater the requirement of experiments prescribed in the syllabus .The important instruments to enrich the experimental skills of students are:
- CENTRIFUGE MACHINE
- ELECTRONIC WEIGHING BALANCE
- pH METER
- T.L.C. APPRATUS WITH ACCESSORIES
- HOT AIR OVEN
- TISSUE HOMOGENIZER
- ELECTROPHORESIS APPARATUS (VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL)
- HEATING MANTLE
- OSTWALD’S VISCOMETER
Activities in Department:
AN educational trip was organized to biochemistry department of Punjab university, Chandigarh in the session 2018-19. Students got the knowledge about latest techniques and working of instruments used in Biochemistry such as HPLC, GLC etc.
- Biochemistry subject will be able to demonstrate an understanding of fundamental biochemical principles such as the structure and function of biomolecules, metabolic pathways and the regulation of biochemical processes.
- It will gain proficiency in basic lab techniques in both chemistry and biology and be able to apply the scientific method to the process of experimentation and hypothesis testing.
- The students develop better understanding about structure, function and metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids and amino acids etc.
- It enables the students to to learn about various biochemical techniques like spectrophotometery, chromatography and electrophoresis etc.
- Students also get the wide knowledge about molecular biology.