DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
Department of Chemistry was established in 1968 to cater to the demand of people of Punjab particularly Malwa area.The post graduate department was incorporated from the year 1971. Over the years, the department has been nurtured with dedication and strenuous hard work of teachers.Since the time of its establishment, this department has made glorious achievements to its credit. With a dedicated team of thirteen academicians, the Department proudly takes the credit of producing University toppers and merit holders consistently in the undergraduate and postgraduate programme .The students of the Department are able to get admission in some of the best Post-graduate, research based Science courses in India and abroad.
|1.||Ms.SumedhaSyal||M.Sc., M.Phil., CSIR-NET JRF Gold Medalist||Associate Professor (H.O.D)||34 years|
|2.||Mr.Nirmal Singh||M.Sc.,M.Phil||Associate Professor||28 years|
|3.||Mr.SumitSoni||M.Sc., M.Phil||Assistant Professor||14years|
|4.||Ms.ChanderPreet||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor||14 years|
|9.||Ms. Sonia Sharma||M.Sc.CSIR-NET JRF GATE||Assistant Professor||4years|
|10.||Ms.AmeetRana||M.Sc.(HS),CSIR-NET ,UGC NET EVS,JRF, MBA||Assistant Professor||14years|
List of Non Teaching staff
|1.||Mr.Mandeep Singh||Senior Lecturer Assistant||B.A.|
|2.||S. Jagdish Singh||Senior Lab Attendant||10+2|
|3.||3. Ms. RajniBhardwaj||Senior Lab Attendant||B.A., B.Ed|
Facilities in Chemistry Department
Laboratories: The department has fourspacious,well-equipped laboratories along with an instrumentation laboratory that houses modern instruments, such as HPLC (High performance Liquid Chromatography), U.V.-Visible Spectrophotometer, Spectrophotometer, Flame Photometers, Potentiometers, pH meters and colorimeters, conductivity meter etc. Laboratories are equipped with various instruments enabling the students to carry out all experiments of syllabi as well as some minor projects.
Departmental Library:has good collection of chemistry books. There are 2500——-books for UG and PG classes and magazines and journals are also subscribed. Main library also has rich section of chemistry booksand an access to online Journals through N-LIST Inflibnet, Username and Password is provided to every faculty member. Books are issued to all students and syllabus books are issued to the needy students for whole session.
Internet facility:Department has internet facility. Students can access internet facility to surf educational sites.
Courses & Syllabus: S. Govt. College of Science Education and Research, Jagraon offering under graduate, post graduate and diploma courses as following:
Science: B.Sc. (Medical/ Non-Medical)
PG Course: M.Sc. (Chemistry and Botany)
B.Sc. General with Honours: in Chemistry.
Syllabus of Panjab University, Chandigarh: View Syllabus (http://puchd.ac.in/syllabus)
The chemistry course curriculum for the undergraduate classes includes the main branches of chemistry: organic, inorganic and physical chemistry. After the completion of B. Sc. Course with Chemistry, the students are able:
- To understand the concepts of Chemistry and their applications in daily life.
- To acquire good foundation in chemistry that stresses scientific reasoning and Analytical problem solving with a molecular perspective.
- To understand the concepts and significance of various physical phenomena.
- To pursue research and various post graduate programs.
- To achieve the skills required to succeed in, the chemical industries and professional schools.
- To get exposures to the in depth knowledge of experimental techniques using modern instrumentation.
- To understand the importance and nature of the various existing elements on earth and their role in our daily life.
- To understand nomenclature, stereochemistry, reactivity of compounds and mechanism of chemical reactions of organic compounds.
- To understand the interdisciplinary nature of chemistry and to integrate knowledge of mathematics, physics and other disciplines to a wide variety of chemical problems.
- To learn the laboratory skills needed to work safely and interpret chemical research activities.
- To improve the oral communication skills of the graduates through various seminars, discussions and lectures.
Learning outcome Chemistry: View (pdf/ Learning.outcome.chemistry.pdf)
Academic Activities: The Department boasts of a vibrant chemical society; where the students and teachers interact beyond classroom and course curricula, to express themselves freely. The society organises seminars, conference, workshops and popular lecture series, extension lectures and student Seminar on regular basis to enrich and update teachers and students with the latest developments across the globe. Department also organises educational trips to universities and research institutes to further enrich the curriculum. We arrange industrial training for postgraduate students and teachers and workshop for school students on lab course. To create interest of School and undergraduate students in science and for hands on training, A summer camp was organised on 2nd July to 8thJuly, 2020. One of the most attractive interdisciplinary events organized by the college is the Inter-College and inter-school festival ‘Science fiesta’.
Co-Curricular Activities: Students are encouraged to organize and participate in different co-curricular activities like Quiz Competition, Drama, recitation etc. on a regular basis.
Academic Placement: Students of this Department, after their completion of B.Sc. course, pursue higher studies like Masters in Science: M. Sc. Industrial Chemistry, M.Sc. Forensic Science, M.Sc. Pharmaceutical, M.Sc. Chemistry, M.Sc. Food Technology etc. through different competitive exams.
Merit Positions in Panjab University
- Simrandeep Kaur Wahan of M.Sc.II Chemistry bagged First Position in in Panjab University Examination (session 2017-2019) and was awarded Roll of Honor
- Mr. Rahul Garg of M.Sc.II Chemistry got Sixth Position in in Panjab University Examination (session 2016-2018) and was awarded Roll of Honor
- Ms. Parul of M.Sc.II Chemistry bagged second Position in in Panjab University Examination (session 2015-2017) and was awarded Roll of Honor
- Ms. Bharti Goyal M.Sc. Chemistry Semester 3 bagged tenth Position in Panjab University Examination Dec.2018 and got merit certificate.
- Mr. Charanpreet Singh M.Sc. Chemistry Semester 3 bagged tenth Position in Panjab University Examination Dec.2018 and got merit certificate.
- Ms. Maheep Kaur B.Sc. Semester 4 bagged eighth Position in Panjab University Examination May.2019 and got merit certificate.
- Ms. Yashika B.Sc. Semester 3 bagged sixth Position in Panjab University Examination Dec.2018 and got merit certificate.
- Ms. Dolly B.Sc. Semester 1 bagged First Position in Panjab University Examination Dec.2019 and got merit certificate.
Performance of Sudents in National Level Competitive Exams:
- Lakhwinder Singh of M.Sc. chemistry session 2013-15 cleared CSIR-UGC JRF and GATE 2018 and secured 5th Rank.
- Himani of M.Sc chemistry session 2016-18 cleared CSIR-UGC NET examination and secured 6th Rank. Dec. 2018 exams
- Gagandeep Singh M.Sc. Chemistry (2017-2019) cleared CSIR-UGC NET and secured 7th rank in June 2019 exams.
- Rajat Ghalta M.Sc. Chemistry (2015-17) cleared CSIR-UGC JRF and secured 77th rank June 2019.