Department of Chemistry was established in 1968 to cater to the demand of people of Punjab particularly Malwaarea.The post graduate department was incorporated from the year 1971. Over the years, the department has been nurtured with dedication and strenuous hard work of teachers.Since the time of its establishment, this department has made glorious achievements to its credit. With a dedicated team of thirteen academicians, the Department proudly takes the credit of producing University toppers and merit holders consistently in the undergraduate and postgraduate programme .The students of the Department are able to get admission in some of the best Post-graduate, research based Science courses in India and abroad.
The department has well-qualified faculty:
|Mr. Sumit Soni
|Ms. Chanderpreet Kaur
|Ms. Gagandeep Kaur
|Ms. Kiranjeet Kaur
|Ms. Ameet Rana
|M.Sc., CSIR-NET, MBA-JRF, NET-UGC EVS
|Senior Lecturer Assistant
|S. Jagdish Singh
|Senior Lab Attendant
|Ms. Rajni Bhardwaj
|Senior Lab Attendant
The department has fourspacious,well-equipped laboratories along with an instrumentation laboratory that houses modern instruments, such as HPLC (High performance Liquid Chromatography), U.V.-Visible Spectrophotometer, Spectrophotometer, Flame Photometers, Potentiometers, pH meters and colorimeters, conductivity meter etc. Laboratories are equipped with various instruments enabling the students to carry out all experiments of syllabi as well as some minor projects.
Library has good collection of chemistry books. There are 2500 books for UG and PG classes and magazines and journals are also subscribed. Main library also has rich section of chemistry booksand an access to online Journals through N-LIST Inflibnet, Username and Password is provided to every faculty member. Books are issued to all students and syllabus books are issued to the needy students for whole session.
Department has internet facility. Students can access internet facility to surf educational sites.
Sanmati Government College of Science Education and Research, Jagraon offering under graduate, post graduate and diploma courses as following:
|Science: B.Sc.(Medical/ Non-Medical)
|B.Sc. General with Honours: in Chemistry
Syllabus of Panjab University, Chandigarh: View Syllabus
The chemistry course curriculum for the undergraduate classes includes the main branches of chemistry: organic, inorganic and physical chemistry. After the completion of B. Sc.Coursewith Chemistry, the students are able:
With a dedicated team of academicians, the department proudly takes the credit of producing university toppers and merit holders consistently in undergraduate and Post graduate programs. In the session 2020-21, the students of our department were able to get admission in some of best research-based Science courses in India and abroad.
Pride of Department
1. Ms Rajanpreet Bansal, student of M.Sc II chemistry (4th sem) got 8th position in Panjab University Examination.
1.Mehargurvir of M.Sc I chemistry participated in online Inter college Essay Writing Competition on the topic " Commemoration of 400 ytry ears Parkash Utsav of Guru Teg Bahadur" organised by Govt College of Education, Patiala & he got third position on 7th Nov 2020.
2. On 9th Nov 2020,an Online Webinar was organised on topic "Impact of Covid 19 on students mentality" by Prof Sumit Soni and Prof. Ameet Rana.
3. On 11th Nov 2020 , Chemistry Department in Collaboration with IQAC celebrated National Education Day.
4. On 18th Nov 2020 ,In relation to "Punjabi Saptah" various competitions were organised. Gursimran Kaur of M.Sc II got Ist position in Kiddhoo making and Sheral Bansal of M.Sc II got 2nd position in Mehndi.
5. On 4th Dec 2020 ,Prof Sumedha Syal HOD Chemistry got DDO powers of College which was the matter of proud for department & Prof Nirmal Singh took the charge as HOD Chemistry department.
6. On 11 February 2021, Chemistry department in collaboration with Punjabi department organized an online 'Questionnaire' to celebrate 400 years of Prakash Utsav of Shri Guru Teg Bahadur ji.
7. Ms. Ameet Rana attended 6 National Online Workshops, 15 National Online Webinars ,10 Summer Day Schools and Online Courses, 5 International Webinars and 14 National and International Faculty Development Programmes.
8. Ms. Sonia attended 6 National webinars ,3 International Webinars and 1 Industrial Training Programme.
9. Science Week Festival- Vigyan Sarvatra Pujyate was organised at Punjabi University, Patiala in which 6 students from B.Sc 1st Medical and Non-Medical participated in the Play/Skit competition and bagged 2nd prize at State Level.
10. Mehargurvir Singh of M.Sc 2nd year (Chemistry) stood 1st in Inter - College Essay writing Competition on the occasion of "International Women Day-2022" held on 08-03-2022 at GHG Institute of Law for Women, Sidhwan Khurd , Ludhiana. The topic for essay writing competition was "Violence against women."
11. The department of Chemistry and Punjabi organized one day trip of B.Sc 3 rd year Medical and Non Medical to Chandigarh. 54 students accompanied by 2 faculty members Dr. Karmdeep Kaur and Ms. Ameet Rana and 1 SLA Mr. Balbir Raiwal visited Rock Garden, Chatabir Zoo and Sukhana Lake on 23-04-2022.
12. IOL Pharmaceutical Limited , Barnala visited the college campus for placement on 27-05-2022. 35 students from M.Sc 2 nd year appeared for the written rest and interview. 10 students were selected by the pharmaceutical company. Prof. Jatinder Singh, Prof. Sumit Soni and Prof. Ameet Rana are the placement co-ordinators who motivated the students to participate in the campus placements for their better future .
13. Post graduate Department of Chemistry organised a 4 day trip to Manali, Rohtang and Shri Manikaran Sahib from 02-06-2022 to 05-06-2022. 21 students accompanied by Head of the Department Prof. Sumit Soni visited these places.
14. Mehargurvir secured 96.4 % in M.Sc 3 rd semester (chemistry) examination and got the university position . The university results were declared on 02-05-2022. 15. The 1st year students of post graduate department of chemistry organised a farewell party for their seniors on 13-06-2022. Fun activities, fun games were organised for the seniors . Rakesh Garg and Jagreet Kaur were adjudged as Mr. and Ms. farewell.
The Department boasts of a vibrant chemical society; where the students and teachers interact beyond classroom and course curricula, to express themselves freely. The society organises seminars, conference, workshops and popular lecture series, extension lectures and student Seminar on regular basis to enrich and update teachers and students with the latest developments across the globe. Department also organises educational trips to universities and research institutes to further enrich the curriculum. We arrange industrial training for postgraduate students and teachers and workshop for school students on lab course. To create interest of School and undergraduate students in science and for hands on training, A summer camp was organised on 2nd July to 8thJuly, 2020. One of the most attractive interdisciplinary events organized by the college is the Inter-College and inter-school festival 'Science fiesta'.
Students are encouraged to organize and participate in different co-curricular activities like Quiz Competition, Drama, recitation etc. on a regular basis.
Students of this Department, after their completion of B.Sc. course, pursue higher studies like Masters in Science: M. Sc. Industrial Chemistry, M.Sc. Forensic Science, M.Sc. Pharmaceutical, M.Sc. Chemistry, M.Sc. Food Technology etc. through different competitive exams.