Department of Zoology
The department of Zoology was established in the year 1968, for the undergraduate course ie: Bachelor of Science( B.Sc. Medical ), under the Punjab University . In this department semester system was implemented since 2014, according to the modified Punjab University rules.The departments receives grants under the U.G.C. and Star College schemes . These funds have been used to improve the infrastructure of the zoology department . Zoology, being a fundamental subject provide plethora of knowledge associated with this field . Thus, this subject is also essential and integral part of the syllabus of B.Sc.medical of The Punjab University. Some main features of this department are as under:
|1.||Ms. Sarabjote bedi||M.Sc., M.Phil.,||Assistant Professor||20 years|
|2.||Ms Amandeep kaur||M.Sc.,B.ed||Assistant Professor||6 years|
|3.||Ms Manpreet kaur||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor||4years|
List of Non Teaching staff
|Mr. Narinder Singh||Senior Lecture Assistant||Matric|
|Mr. Chamkaur Singh||Lab Attendant||10+2|
Facilities in Zoology Department
1.Laboratory: This department is provided with one spacious fully equipped laboratory with latest teaching techniques and apparatus. Apart from this , there is one museum which provided with latest lab equipments and specimens .
2.Departmental Library: In order to meet the urgent requirement of books, department has its own library. There are 1682 books in our library. Text Books are issued to the needy students for whole session.
3.Internet facility: The department has its own internet facility, the access of which is provided to the students also.
4.Exclusive Equipments: The department has variety of equipment to fulfill the requirement of experiments prescribed in the syllabus. List of the some of the important instrument is given as under :
- MIPS( two)
- EGG INCUBATOR
- WATER BATH
- CENTRIFUGE MACHINE
- ELECTRONIC WEIGHING BALANCE
- pH METER
- SPHYGAMOMANOMETER BOTH DIGITAL AND MANNUAL
- COMPOUND MICROSCOPE
- DISSECTING MICROSCOPE
- SLIDE SCOPE
- COMPUTER WITH PRINTER
- PLANKTON NET
- PERIODIC CHAINOMATIC ANALYTICAL BALANCE WITH MECHANICAL MANIPULATION OF FRACTIONAL WEIGHT UPTO 1 GRAM IN TEAK WOOD CASE
- PROJECTION LAMP
- L.C. APPRATUS WITH ACCESSORIES
- HOT AIR OVEN
- ELECTRICAL KYMOGRAPH RECORDING DRUM
- TISSUE HOMOGENIZER
- OVER HEAD PROJECTOR
- Zoology as a career provides number of specialization because of which the students acquire plethora of career options .
- The graduates learn the basic concept of preservation and management of animal kingdom and hence, play an important responsibility in conservation and regulation of the present day environment .
- Students can get a career opportunity in channels like National Geographic, Animal Planet, Discovery channel which are in constant need of zoologists.
- Zoologists are also hired by Zoos , Wild Life Survices, Zoological Gardens , Conservation Organizations, National Parks , Nature Reserves, Universities , Laboratories, Acquarims, Animal Clinics, Fishiers And Aqua Culture Department , Museum , Research Institutions , Pharmaceutical Companies , Veterinary Hospitals etc.
- To improve the oral communication skills of the graduates through various seminars, discussions and lectures.
- To encourage and motivate the students to pursue research and various post graduate programs.
- The students develop better understanding about biodiversity related to invertebrates fauna , ecology and cell biology in the first year.
- In the second year the students are made aware of biodiversity related to vertebrate fauna and animal physiology and related biochemistry .
- In the third the students deal with developmental biology , genetics and entomology which helps them to understand the minuteness’ of life.
- The course helps them to understand basic concepts and to practice problem solving by using selected problems in zoology.
- The subject helps them to learn the zoological tools needed to solve problem related to their environment.
- It creates an understanding on how major concepts developed and changed over a period of time.
- It helps to provide a platform on the application of modern ZOOLOGY in to modern technology.
Activities in Department:
1.An extension lecture by Dr. SWARANDEEP SINGH (H.O.D ZOOLOGY DEPARMENT, PAU, Ludhiana) on “MAN AND ENVIRONMENT” on 20 February, 2019.
2.TRIPS/ TOUR: A group of 60 students of B.Sc. I,II Medical visited CHHATBIR ZOO ZIRAKPUR on 31th March 2019 under the supervision of faculty members. The students got an opportunity to study the following areas of science:
- WALK IN AVIARY
- MAMMILIAN FAUNA
- NOCTURAL HOUSE
- LION AND DEER SAFARI
3.Still modelmaking Competition : Sapan Khurana , Jashanpreet Kaur student of B.Sc. II M got second prize in Inter-College model making competition in Science fiesta-III organized by the college on 21st October, 2019.
- Two students Maheep kaur gill and Adarsh Pal verma participated in intercollege quiz competition, held at SCD Government College, Ludhiana on 25th Sept, 2019. The team performed very well.
- Two students Maheep kaur gill and Adarsh Pal verma participated and got second position in intercollege quiz contest at Science fiesta-III, organized by the college on 21st Oct 2019.
5.Power point presentation:
Harsimran Kaur and Maheep Kaur Gill of B.Sc. III M got second prize in Inter-College Power point presentation in Science fiesta-III organized by the college on 21st Oct 2019.
Muskan Bansal student of B.Sc. II M got SECOND prize in Inter-College Poster presentation in Science fiesta-III organized by the college on 21st Oct 2019.
7.ON GANDHI JAYANTI Celebration Lisa student of B.Sc medical II got first prize in rangoli making and Muskaan bansal student of bscII MEDICAL got 3rd prize in poster presentation and Heeena Garg student of bscII MEDICAL got 1st prize in poster presentation
- On environment day celebration Harsimarn kaur student oF Bsc 3 medical got first in power point presentation at Sidwa khurd college .
Following students of B.Sc medical have participated in youth fest competition
- Veerpal kaur in heritaze quiz
- Simratdeep in cartoon making
- Muskan bansal in still life drawing
- Muskan bansal handwriting ( hindi )
- Liza in rangoli first prize
- Adarshpal and maheep kaure gill in quiz got second prize
- Sapanjot khurana in installation got 2 prize
- Heena garg in poem writing and on the spot painting
- Maheep kaur gill in poem wirting got first prize.
- Amandeep kaur ,paras mani and simrandeep kaur in mime
COMPETITIVE EXAMS AFTER B.Sc. Medical:
- PU-CET (PG) (Panjab University-Common Entrance Test for Post Graduate students)
- IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test)
- NEST (National Entrance Screening Test)
- JEST (Joint Entrance Screening Test)
- TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research)